Journal of Gastrointestinal Infections

Register      Login

VOLUME 5 , ISSUE 1 ( 2015 ) > List of Articles


Microbiological spectrum of diarrhea in HIV infected patients – a cross-sectional study from a rural cohort population of coastal South India

Mamatha Ballal, Suganthi Martena Devadas, Vignesh Shetty, Sohan Bangera

Keywords : Coccidian parasites, diarrhea, enteric pathogens, HIV/AIDS.

Citation Information : Ballal M, Devadas SM, Shetty V, Bangera S. Microbiological spectrum of diarrhea in HIV infected patients – a cross-sectional study from a rural cohort population of coastal South India. J Gastrointest Infect 2015; 5 (1):42-45.

DOI: 10.5005/jp-jogi-5-1-42

License: CC BY-SA 4.0

Published Online: 01-05-2015

Copyright Statement:  Copyright © 2015; The Author(s).


Diarrheal diseases continue to play a major role in the lives of the HIV positive people impacting negatively on the quality of life. Currently only a few studies on intestinal parasites and diarrhea in HIV patients are available from South India. We took up this study to evaluate the prevalence of such infections in HIV patients and to emphasize the importance of stool examination for parasites. A total of 73 stool samples from HIV patients with diarrhea (Jan 2012 – Dec 2012) were processed according to the standard protocol. Of the total 73 cases, 65.75% were with chronic diarrhea and the remaining 34.24% presented with acute diarrhea. Of the 32 (43.83%) intestinal pathogens isolated, 27 (84.37%) were coccidian parasites and the remaining were bacterial agents. Knowledge about the different pattern of pathogens can often guide appropriate therapy to HIV patients. There is an urgent need to interpret the scientific findings into sustainable prevention programs and improve public health policy.

PDF Share
  1. Attili SVS, Gulati AK, Singh VP, Varma DV, Rai M, Sundar S. Diarrhea, CD4 counts and enteric infections in a hospital-based cohort of HIV-infected patients around Varanasi, India. BMC Infect Dis. 2006;6:1-8.
  2. Blanshard C, Francis N, Gazzard BG. Investigation of chronic diarrhoea in acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. A prospective study of 155 patients. Gut. 1996;39:824-32.
  3. WHO manual. 2012. Available at http://www. antimicrobial gfn_biochem_final.pdf. 45 J Gastrointest Infect, 2015; 5: 1
  4. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing. 23rd Informational Supplement, Document M100-S23, 2013;33.
  5. Mukhopadhya A, Ramakrishna BS, Kang G, Pulimood AB, Mathan MM, Zachariah A et al. Enteric pathogens in Southern Indian HIV infected patients with and without diarrhoea. Indian J Med Res. 1999;109:85-9.
  6. Becker ML, Cohen CR, Cheang M, Washington RG, Blanchard JF, Moses S. Diarrhoeal disease among HIV infected adults in Karnataka, India: Evaluation of risk factors and etiology. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2007;76:718-22.
  7. Jha AK, Uppal B, Chadha S, Bhalla P, Ghosh R, Aggarwal P, et al. Clinical and Microbiological Profile of HIV/AIDS Cases with Diarrhea in North India. J Pathog. 2012;2012:971958.
  8. UNAIDS. Report on the global AIDS Epidemic. UNAIDS 2006: 16-43.
  9. Ramakrishnan K, Shenbagarathai R, Uma A, Kavitha K, Rajendran R, Thirumalaikolundusubramanian P. Prevalence of intestinal parasitic infestation in HIV/AIDS patients with diarrhea in Madurai City, south India. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2007;60:209-10.
  10. Sadraei J, Rivzi MA, Baveja UK. Diarrhea, CD4 cell counts and opportunistic protozoa in Indian HIV-infected patients. Parasitol Res. 2005;97:270-3.
  11. Ballal M, Martena S, Chakraborthy R, Shetty V. Emerging trends in the aetiology and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of Enteric Pathogens in rural coastal India. International Journal of Clinical Medicine. 2014;5:425-32.
PDF Share
PDF Share

© Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD.