EXPORT CITATION

Chapter-08 Calcium Metabolism

BOOK TITLE: Fundamentals of Oral Medicine and Radiology

Author
1. DN Bailoor
2. AP Krishna
ISBN
9788180615146
DOI
10.5005/jp/books/10318_8
Edition
1/e
Publishing Year
2005
Pages
8
Author Affiliations
1. Yenepoya Dental College and Hospital, Mangalore
2. KS Hegde Medical Academy (KSHEMA), Mangalore
Chapter keywords

Abstract

The human body contains more calcium than any of the other essential minerals—as much as 1100-1200 gm in a 70 kg adult. That is about 1.5 per cent of body weight and about 27.5 mol. The body of the infant at birth contains about 27.5 gm of calcium and calcium continuously gets deposited in the bone during the growth of the body. About 99 per cent of total calcium is present in bones and teeth and remaining 1 per cent in the soft tissues including blood. The important dietary sources of calcium are milk and milk products, sesame seeds and green leafy vegetables. Milk is the best natural source and skim milk powder is very rich source (1.37%) of calcium. Ragi is the cheapest natural source of calcium, containing about 0.3 to 0.36 per cent.

© 2019 Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD.   |   All Rights Reserved