Preventive and Community Dentistry Clinical Record BookM Shivakumar MDS Professor and Head Department of Community Dentistry Ragas Dental College and Hospital Chennai
Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj
New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672
Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our website: www.jaypeebrothers.com
- 2/B Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road, Satellite, Ahmedabad 380 015Phone: +91-079-30988717, +91-079-26926233 e-mail: email@example.com
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa Road, Kumara Park East,Bangalore 560 001, Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956, +91-80-30614073Tele Fax: +91-80-22281761 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain Plaza, Pantheon RoadChennai 600 008, Phones: +91-44-28262665, +91-44-28269897, +91-44-030972089Fax: +91-44-28262331 e-mail: email@example.com
- 4-2-1067/1-3, Ist Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote, Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095, Phones: +91-40-55610020, +91-40-24758498, +91-40-30940929Fax: +91-40-24758499 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington Square, Kolkata 700 013,Phones: +91-33-22456075, +91-33-22451926, +91-33-30901926 Fax: +91-33-22456075e-mail: email@example.com
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao Road, Near MGM HospitalParel, Mumbai 400 012, Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532, +91-22-30926896Fax: +91-22-24160828 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org: email@example.com
- “KAMALPUSHPA”, 38 Reshimbag, Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009, Phones: +91-712-3945220, +91-712-2704275, Fax: 0712-2704275e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Preventive and Community Dentistry: Clinical Record Book
© 2006, M Shivakumar
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author and the publisher.
First Edition: 2006
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Replika Press, Kundli, HaryanaCertificate
This is to certify that the bonafide record of all clinical, field and practical programmes done by Mr/Miss. __________________________________of _________ BDS conducted by the Department of Community Dentistry during the academic year _______________________ at Dental College. His/Her work has been found satisfactory during the period.
Professor and Head
Department of Community DentistryPreface
“ Health is wealth”
Public health is people's health. Oral and dental health is an essential part of overall health.
In order to assess the oral and dental health, it is very important to possess the knowledge of clinical dentistry, epidemiology, behavioural science by the statistics, indices, planning etc.
In order to provide an uniform clinical training programmes in the subject of preventive and community dentistry for BDS students an attempt has been made here to bring out step-by-step clinical procedures in the form of clinical record book. This will help the students to implement their knowledge while examining the patients. It also gives scope to enhance the knowledge of conducting field programmes and understanding the situation existing among the target group of populations like orphanages, old-age homes, primary health centres and similar institutions run by government/private/voluntary organizations.
The main aim of this record book is to enhance the clinical knowledge and organizational abilities of the students to take up public health programmes confidently and complete it successfully.
“Let noble thoughts come to us from every side.”
The undergraduate student should complete the following clinical and field programme exercises during their postings in the department. Separate postings for students should be arranged in the time table so that the maximum training can be imparted.
I. Clinical Training Programme:
Name of the exercise
No. of cases to be completed
1. Comprehensive oral/dental health planning
2. WHO—Oral health assessment form (1997)
A. Dental caries
DMF – T
df – t
df – s
B. Oral hygiene assessment
Silness and Loe plaque index
Greene and Vermillion OHI - S – index
C. Gingival and periodontal health assessment
Russel's periodontal index
D. Fluorosis index
Dean's fluorosis index
4. Topical fluoride applications:
a. Sodium fluoride 2%
b. Stannous fluoride 8%
c. APF solution
d. APF gel
5. Pit and fissure sealants
6. Plaque control programme
7. Submission of one model and one chart of public health importance
II. Field Programmes and Reports
- Dental camps
- Visit to water purification plant
- Visit to primary health centres
- Visit to slums, villages, etc.
- i. Visit to dental clinics
- j. Visit to schools
- k. Visit to institutions—Handicapped, old age, orphanage, etc.
- l. Visit to holistic health centres—Yoga centre, naturopathy centre, music therapy centre, etc.