Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj
New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672
Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683
Visit our website: www.jaypeebrothers.com
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road Satellite, Ahmedabad 380 015Phones: +91-079-30988717, +91-079-26926233 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa Road, Kumara Park EastBangalore 560 001 Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956,+91-80-30614073, Tele Fax: +91-80-22281761 e-mail: email@example.com
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain Plaza, Pantheon RoadChennai 600 008 Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897Fax: +91-44-28193231 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4-2-1067/1-3, Ist Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote, Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095 Phones: +91-40-55610020, +91-40-24758498, +91-40-30940929Fax: +91-40-24758499 e-mail: email@example.com
- 1A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington Square Kolkata 700 013Phones: +91-33-22456075, +91-33-22451926, +91-33-30901926 Fax: +91-33-22456075e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao Road, Near MGM Hospital, Parel,Mumbai 400 012 Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532,+91-22-30926896 Fax: +91-22-24160828 e-mail: email@example.com
- “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, Reshimbag, Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009, Phones: +91-0712-3945220, +91-712-2704275 Fax: +91-0712-2704275e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Textbook of Growth and Development for Nursing Students
© 2006, KP Neeraja
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author and the publisher.
This book has been published in good faith that the material provided by author is original. Every effort is made to ensure accuracy of material, but the publisher, printer and author will not be held responsible for any inadvertent error(s). In case of any dispute, all legal matters are to be settled under Delhi jurisdiction only.
First Edition: 2006
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Gopsons Papers Ltd., A-14, Sector 60, Noida
Sri VVS Chetty and Dr KP Sailaja my parental icon and to younger generation of my familyPreface
The broadening scope of ‘Child Health Nursing Practice in Nursing profession’ and the appreciation of the importance of ‘Growth and Development’ as a major and broader discipline with a corresponding stress on its teaching, Indian Nursing Council (INC) has laid down the curriculum in child health nursing to serve as a guideline for training of graduate and postgraduate nurses. All the areas of growth and development as well as the syllabi and course content of undergraduate and post-graduate nursing courses of various health universities in child health nursing have been given weightage in designing this volume. The text is indeed, a result of the creative process, for which there were many seed ideas, consultations and discussions with experts in related fields. The facts stated in this book would help channelise the experiences in the right direction. Innovative challenge has been taken up by adopting Growth and Development as a separate entity, covering all developmental aspects right from ‘conception to old age.’ It is designed to present the content of various disciplines comprehensively. This book is helpful for a curriculum in which concepts of child care have been integrated. It promotes a sensitive, holistic outlook on nursing practice. The need for a suitable text for ‘Growth and Development’ has prompted for the emergence of this text, I am confident that, this book will serve the nursing students’ needs, especially at the right time.
The student is expected to have a comprehensive and efficient knowledge related to growth and development, however, at some places repetition has become necessary to maintain the continuity and to bring clarity. Details have been maximized and language made simpler and easier so as to meet the requirement of the nursing students. I hope this book will serve as an ideal textbook for the teachers to teach, as well as for the learners to develop comprehensive and efficient knowledge on growth and development. I made sincere and hard effort to bring out this book in understandable and applicable for professionals to practice child health nursing in clinical areas. Constructive criticisms and suggestions are solicited on my e-mail ID: email@example.com
I am thankful to ‘The Almighty’, who strengthen me by helping me in each and every second in all my deeds by showering His blessings abundantly through various resources, which helped me in the accomplishment of all the tasks in my life.
It is not possible for an individual to carry out any venture all alone, I wish to place a sense of gratitude to all those, who helped me directly or indirectly in fulfilling my long-term desire.
My sincere thanks are due to Dr. Sanjeeva Chetty, Dr. K. Sreenivasa Reddy, Dr. K. P. Sailaja and Sri Ashok Navale, experts in related fields in clarifying and suggested guidelines for certain topics.
My heartfelt thanks are due to my ‘beloved son’ Chi. V. Balasubramanyam and my brother-in-law Sri VVS Chetty who helped me in taking photos, which are vital in the present volume. I am extremely thankful to my family members for their constant enthusiastic support, encouragement, suggestions, contribution and criticism for implanting a sense of excitement while working on this venture right from conception to completion.
My appreciation and immense pleasure are extended to the children, who participated actively in photo session and my thanks are due to my colleagues for their cooperation in gathering some related material.
My sincere gratitude is due to staff of M/s Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd, Delhi and Bangalore Branch (specially to Mr Ravikumar, Sales Executive) for inspiring me to take up and complete the project within stipulated time and given me opportunity for authoring the book.