Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj
New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672 Rel: 32558559
Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road Satellite, Ahmedabad 380 015Phones: +91-079-26926233, Rel: +91-079-32988717, Fax: +91-079-26927094e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa Road, Kumara Park East, Bengaluru 560 001Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956, Rel: +91-80-32714073Fax: +91-80-22281761 e-mail: email@example.com
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain Plaza, Pantheon Road, Chennai 600 008Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897, Rel: +91-44-32972089Fax: +91-44-28193231 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross Road, Hyderabad 500 095Phones: +91-40-66610020, +91-40-24758498, Rel:+91-40-32940929Fax:+91-40-24758499, e-mail: email@example.com
- No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent Road, Kochi 682 018, KeralaPhone: +91-0484-4036109, +91-0484-2395739, +91-0484-2395740e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington Square, Kolkata 700 013Phones: +91-33-22451926, +91-33-22276404, +91-33-22276415, Rel: +91-33-32901926Fax: +91-33-22456075, e-mail: email@example.com
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao Road, Near MGM Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400012Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532, Rel: +91-22-32926896Fax: +91-22-24160828, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, Reshimbag, Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009 (MS) Phones: Rel: 3245220, Fax: 0712-2704275e-mail: email@example.com
Jaypee Gold Standard Mini Atlas Series: Emergency Imaging
© 2007, D Karthikeyan, Deepa Chegu
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the authors and the publisher.
First Edition: 2007
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Ajanta OffsetPreface
Contrast-enhanced spiral CT and high field MRI has revolutionized the work-up and diagnosis of the trauma and emergency patient. State-of-the-art CT and MRI technology with multislice capabilities allows for rapid breath-hold scanning, permitting greater coverage with greater spatial detail. CT may be performed in hemodynamically stable patients in whom injury is suspected in much less time than in the recent past with greater accuracy and diagnostic confidence.
These capabilities have led to a dramatic decrease in surgical exploration for often minor injuries, improved triage by presenting the total spectrum of injuries, permitted recognition of clinically unanticipated injuries, and fostered earlier discharge of patients without significant injury with a high level of confidence. These influences have, in turn, led to decrease in costs of patient management and, most likely, improved overall clinical outcomes.
It is our hope that this new mini series in a pictorial review format will help the postgraduate students and emergency room physicians.