Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
B-3 EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj
New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672,
Rel: 32558559, Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683
Visit our website: www.jaypeebrothers.com
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road SatelliteAhmedabad 380 015, Phones: +91-079-26926233, Rel: +91-079-32988717,Fax: +91-079-26927094, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa RoadKumara Park East, Bangalore 560 001, Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956,Rel: +91-80-32714073, Fax: +91-80-22281761, e-mail: email@example.com
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain PlazaPantheon Road, Chennai 600 008, Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897,Rel: +91-44-32972089, Fax: +91-44-28193231, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095, Phones: +91-40-66610020, +91-40-24758498, Rel:+91-40-32940929,Fax:+91-40-24758499, e-mail: email@example.com
- No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent RoadKochi 682 018, Kerala, Phones: 0484-4036109, +91-0484-2395739, +91-0484-2395740e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington SquareKolkata 700 013, Phones: +91-33-22451926, +91-33-22276404, +91-33-22276415,Rel: +91-33-32901926, Fax: +91-33-22456075, e-mail: email@example.com
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao RoadNear MGM Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400 012, Phones: +91-22-24124863,+91-22-24104532, Rel: +91-22-32926896, Fax: +91-22-24160828,e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, Reshimbag, Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred Road, Nagpur 440 009(MS), Phones: Rel: 3245220, Fax: 0712-2704275, e-mail: email@example.com
© 2007, BT Basavanthappa
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author and the publisher.
First Edition: 2007
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Gopsons Papers Ltd, Sector 60, Noida
My Ever Loving Parents
My Dear Students ofPreface
It gives me an immense pleasure and satisfaction to introduce and present this book Nursing Theories to our honorable Nursing community. I have been very much pleased with utilization of my earlier nine books; namely, Community Heath Nursing, Medical Surgical Nursing, Pediatric/Child Health Nursing, Midwifery and Reproductive Nursing, Fundamentals of Nursing, Nursing Education, Nursing Administration and Nursing Research.
In the past nursing was based on principles borrowed from the physical and social sciences and other disciplines. Today, however, there is a body of knowledge that is uniquely nursing, while this was not always same, amount of investigation and analysis of nursing care has expanded rapidly in recent years. Nursing is no longer based on task orientation, situation or trial and error but it increasingly relies on researcher as a basis for practice; now we have several theoretical models of nursing which have been developed by our own nursing theorists.
This book is a synthesis and extension of what we believe that theoretical models now serve a newer and more important role within nursing. Nursing theories and model have come to be understood on the embodiment of nursing philosophies, presenting nursing beliefs understanding and purposes it has been believed that theoretical models are excellent and tangible sources of the perspective of nursing across time. Certainly some of the models serve as sources for extensive programmes of research, as curriculum organizers and as templates for practice. It has been suggested that the nursing perspectives may be used to guide knowledge development within nursing. Since it fulfils one of the criteria of the profession that there is special body of knowledge which continuously enlarges the body of knowledge uses and improves its techniques of education and service by the use of scientific method to fulfil the purpose. I have tried my level best to select some of the important contributions of nurse theorists and put it in an understandable language so that every one will be aware and acquainted with knowledge of nursing theories, which help them in nursing practice, nursing education and nursing research.
When Nursing develops its own theory, validates research knowledge in the practice setting and relies on this knowledge to direct nursing practice, it will be recognized as an independent autonomous profession.
I hope this book will continue to serve not only nursing student of all levels for whom it is intended but also nursing teachers and practitioners. Theory improves nursing practice by describing, explaining, predicting and controlling phenomena of interest to nurses. Theory allows professional autonomy by guiding the practice, education and research functions of the profession. The study of theory helps develop analytical skills, challenges, thinking and clarifying values and assumptions.
I am aware of manifold reasons, error might be crept in and shall feel oblige, if such errors are brought to my notice. I sincerely welcome constructive criticism from readers, that would help me to enrich myself and suggestions will be incorporated in the next edition.
I owe a great deal of thanks to many who encouraged and supported me with their time and encouragement throughout.
- Shri G Basavannappa, Formerly, Minister and presently, MLA of Karnataka for having initiated and supported me to take up this “Noble Nursing Profession” as my career.
- Dr (Mrs) Manjula K Vasundhra, Formerly, Professor and HOD of Community Medicine, Bangalore Medical College, who continuously encouraged me to write texts in the field of Nursing since nursing is a major force in Medical and Health Services.
- My Father Shri Thukkappa, who continues his grace for the progress of my career and all-round development of my personality for the welfare of the community.
- My Mother Smt Hanumanthamma, who continue to be a bright spot in the lives of all who knew her and whose grace gave me strength to progress of my life.
- My Wife Smt Lalitha, who gives meaning to my life in so many ways. She is the one whose encouragement keeps me motivated, whose support gives me strength and whose gentleness gives me comfort.
- My lovely children BB Mahesh and BB Gaanashree, for all the joy they provided me and all the hope that they instill me and who bare with patient throughout my works of the nursing texts. They keep me young at heart.
- Finally, my warmest appreciation goes to M/s Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd, New Delhi, for sharing my vision for this book and giving me the chance to turn vision into reality.