(Based on the Revised Syllabus of Nursing Council of India for BSc Nursing Course)K Thayalan MSc MPhil Dip RP PhD Professor and Head Department of Medical Physics Barnard Institute of Radiology and Oncology Madras Medical College Chennai
Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
B-3 EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj
New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672, Rel: 32558559
Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683
Visit our website: www.jaypeebrothers.com
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road SatelliteAhmedabad 380 015Phones: +91-079-26926233, Rel: +91-079-32988717, Fax: +91-079-26927094e-mail: email@example.com
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa RoadKumara Park East, Bangalore 560 001Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956, Rel: +91-80-32714073, Fax: +91-80-22281761e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain PlazaPantheon Road, Chennai 600 008Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897, Rel: +91-44-32972089, Fax: +91-44-28193231e-mail: email@example.com
- 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095, Phones: +91-40-66610020, +91-40-24758498, Rel:+91-40-32940929,Fax:+91-40-24758499, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent RoadKochi 682 018, Kerala, Phones: 0484-4036109, +91-0484-2395739, +91-0484-2395740e-mail: email@example.com
- 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington SquareKolkata 700 013, Phones: +91-33-22451926, +91-33-22276404, +91-33-22276415, Rel: +91-33-32901926Fax: +91-33-22456075, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao RoadNear MGM Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400 012Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532, Rel: +91-22-32926896Fax: +91-22-24160828, e-mail: email@example.com
- “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, ReshimbagOpp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009 (MS)Phones: Rel: 3245220, Fax: 0712-2704275e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bio-medical Physics for Nurses
© 2007, K Thayalan
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author and the publisher.
First Edition: 2007
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Gopsons Papers Ltd., A-14, Sector 60, NoidaPreface
Physics has lot of applications in Medicine and Biology particularly in Physiology, Radiology, Cardiology, Neurology and Audiology, etc. Most of the equipments used in the above specialities are employing the principles of Physics and its applications. Nursing personnel is an important category in the health care industry next to physicians. They are supposed to know about the equipments, usage and its maintenance. Hence, a proper education about the physics is very important and also the need of the hour.
Hence, an attempt is made to write a complete textbook of Bio-medical Physics for Nurses to fulfil a long felt need in this area. The book has eleven chapters involving various principles and its applications. Many areas highlight the medical instruments and its practical applications. Also lot of clinical applications are incorporated wherever needed. I hope this book may be useful to the nursing community not only for the examination but also to motivate their work ethics.
Healthy comments and suggestions are invited from the readers.