Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
B-3 EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672
Rel: 32558559, Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road SatelliteAhmedabad 380 015, Phones: +91-079-26926233, Rel: +91-079-32988717Fax: +91-079-26927094, e-mail: email@example.com
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa Road, Kumara Park EastBengaluru 560 001, Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956Rel: +91-80-32714073, Fax: +91-80-22281761, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain Plaza, Pantheon Road,Chennai 600 008 Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897, Rel: +91-44-32972089,Fax: +91-44-28193231, e-mail: email@example.com
- 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095, Phones: +91-40-66610020, +91-40-24758498Rel:+91-40-32940929 Fax:+91-40-24758499, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent RoadKochi 682 018, Kerala, Phones: 0484-4036109, +91-0484-2395739, +91-0484-2395740e-mail: email@example.com
- 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington SquareKolkata 700 013, Phones: +91-33-22451926, +91-33-22276404, +91-33-22276415Rel: +91-33-32901926, Fax: +91-33-22456075, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao Road, Near MGM Hospital, ParelMumbai 400 012, Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532, Rel: +91-22-32926896Fax: +91-22-24160828, e-mail: email@example.com
- “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, Reshimbag, Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009 (MS), Phones: Rel: 3245220, Fax: 0712-2704275e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
© 2007, P Ramadass, A Wilson Aruni
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the authors and the publisher.
First Edition: 2007
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Paras PressPreface
Biotechnology has risen up to become the pinnacle of all biological sciences owing to its vast applicability in various fields of science and technology. Modern biotechnology has played a substantial role in the development of the health care and chemical industries. It has made possible the availability of several diagnostic, prophylactic and therapeutic products. Recombinant DNA technology and genetic engineering techniques find several applications in the areas of vaccines, foods, antibiotics, alcohols, hormones and monoclonal antibodies. It has been stated that next to computer science, biotechnology stands a rewarding career-oriented manpower.
In recent times, intensive research is being taken up in this discipline as many undergraduate and postgraduate courses are being offered in many colleges. Though more theoretical knowledge is imparted to the students of biotechnology in different colleges, the practical knowledge which could be given to the students is lacking. The reason for these lacunae could be either due to the nonavailability of laboratory equipments and technical manpower in such institutions. A comprehensive textbook covering different biotechnological methods, that could cater to the need of students is lacking now.
The quest of such lacunae is satiated by this textbook Practical Biotechnology, which brings about the practical applications and protocols on areas of applied biotechnology and molecular biology, viz., cell culture, hybridoma technology, nucleic acid isolation and electrophoresis, nucleic acid probes and hybridization methods, PCR and related techniques and nucleic acid sequencing methods. There are seven chapters in this book that covers all the above mentioned topics in detail, elaborating the principles and step-by-step protocols.
The authors have extensive experience in teaching and research in Biotechnology and have also authored Textbook of Animal Biotechnology, which has gone through couple of editions. Though the protocols given are standardized to the authors' laboratory, the authors do not claim them as their original contribution, because they are the compilation of methods from different sources. A number of standard textbooks, journals and review papers were consulted to make this book an authenticated and standard practical biotechnology manual. The students would be able to carry out different molecular methods using this practical book with ease.
The authors express their apologies for any mistakes inadvertently committed in preparation of this textbook. Any suggestions from the readers in improving the book in further editions are most welcome.
A Wilson Aruni