Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
B-3 EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021
+91-11-23245672, Rel: +91-11-32558559 Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683 e-mail: email@example.com, Visit our website: www.jaypeebrothers.com
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road SatelliteAhmedabad 380 015 Phones: +91-79-26926233, Rel: +91-79-32988717Fax: +91-79-26927094 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa Road, Kumara Park EastBengaluru 560 001, Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-2238295691-80-22372664, Rel: +91-80-32714073, Fax: +91-80-22281761e-mail: email@example.com
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain Plaza, Pantheon RoadChennai 600 008 Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897Rel: +91-44-32972089 Fax: +91-44-28193231e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095, Phones: +91-40-66610020, +91-40-24758498Rel:+91-40-32940929Fax:+91-40-24758499e-mail: email@example.com
- No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent RoadKochi 682 018, Kerala Phones: +91-484-4036109, +91-484-2395739+91-484-2395740 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington SquareKolkata 700 013, Phones: +91-33-22651926, +91-33-22276404+91-33-22276415, Rel: +91-33-32901926 Fax: +91-33-22656075e-mail: email@example.com
- Lekhraj Market III, B-2, Sector-4, Faizabad Road, Indira NagarLucknow 226 016 Phones: +91-522-3040553, +91-522-3040554e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao Road, Near MGM Hospital, ParelMumbai 400 012, Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532,Rel: +91-22-32926896, Fax: +91-22-24160828e-mail: email@example.com
- “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, Reshimbag, Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009 (MS), Phone: Rel: +91-712-3245220, Fax: +91-712-2704275e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Manual of Cornea
© 2008, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the authors and the publisher.
First Edition: 2008
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Ajanta Offset & Packagins Ltd., New Delhi
This book is dedicated to my parents, Prof S Abraham and Ms Kamalam Abraham for making me what I am now.Preface
It has been my ambition to write a book on cornea for postgraduate students in ophthalmology.
Cornea is important from patient viewpoint in that even minor affliction may result in gross defective vision, and from surgeon's point of view in that any corneal lesion requires immediate and proper attention. He also has to diagnose almost on the spot since the lesion is obvious and he is compelled to explain then and there itself what the problem is, the treatment and the prognosis. A retinal surgeon can buy time behind the veil of FFA and, during that time, can consult someone or some book. This is almost not possible for corneal surgeon.
So, for an ophthalmologist worth his qualification and experience it is mandatory that he knows corneal diseases well – even if he professes himself to be a retinal surgeon or a neuro ophthalmologist. He has to acquire this knowledge before finishes his academic training and steps into the wide world.
This book does not claim to be a complete treatise on cornea. Its aim is to teach the students pursuing the knowledge of ophthalmology the basis and, to some extent, details of diseases of cornea. I have studiously refrained from burdening the readers with minute details. If this aim is achieved, it will fulfill the purpose of the author in writing this book.
A feedback from teachers and students is most welcome, so that errors which might have sneaked in can be rectified in the next edition.
I am grateful to the Management of Vinayaka Missions for their help and encouragement. I am thankful to my wife, Leela, for bearing with me when I burnt my midnight candles, to my son Dr Marcus Abraham and to other colleagues who guided me in writing certain chapters. I am also thankful to Dr. Kalavathy of Trichy Joseph Eye Hospital for many excellent photos and to my computerists who put up with all my whims and vagaries.
A Samuel GnanadossAcknowledgements
I sincerely thank Dr Marcus Abraham Samuel, Genetic Engineer of Toronto University, Dr Sarkar of Biochemistry Department and Dr Ramasamy of Pediatrics department of my Institution for their valuable help while writing certain chapters.
I am grateful to Dr Kalavathy, Deputy Medical Superintendent of Dr Joseph Eye Hospital, Tiruchirapalli for providing me with many photos and Mr Jeeva, artist for the many diagrams he had drawn for this book.
I acknowledge the help rendered by my computerists Mr S Victor and Mr V Arun Kumar while preparing the text.
Above all I am most grateful to Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd, especially Mr Tarun Duneja, General Manager (Publishing) and Mr Jayanandan, Author-Coordinator, Chennai branch for their encouragement and putting up with all my vagaries while writing this manual.