Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
4838/24 Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi 110 002, India, Phone: +91-11-43574357
B-3 EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021
+91-11-23245672 Rel: +91-11-32558559, Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road SatelliteAhmedabad 380 015 , Phones: +91-79-26926233, Rel: +91-79-32988717,Fax: +91-79-26927094, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa Road, Kumara Park EastBengaluru 560 001 Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956,+91-080-22372664, Rel: +91-80-32714073, Fax: +91-80-22281761,e-mail: email@example.com
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain Plaza, Pantheon RoadChennai 600 008, Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897,Rel: +91-44-32972089, Fax: +91-44-28193231e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095, Phones: +91-40-66610020, +91-40-24758498,Rel: +91-40-32940929, Fax:+91-40-24758499,e-mail: email@example.com
- No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent RoadKochi 682 018 Kerala, Phones: +91-484-4036109, +91-484-2395739,+91-484-2395740, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington SquareKolkata 700 013, Phones: +91-33-22651926, +91-33-22276404,+91-33-22276415, Rel: +91-33-32901926, Fax: +91-33-22656075,e-mail: email@example.com
- Lekhraj Market III, B-2, Sector-4, Faizabad Road, Indira NagarLucknow 226 016 , Phones: +91-522-3040553, +91-522-3040554,e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao Road, Near MGM Hospital, ParelMumbai 400 012, Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532,Rel: +91-22-32926896, Fax: +91-22-24160828,e-mail: email@example.com
- ❒ “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, Reshimbag, Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009, Phone: Rel: +91-712-3245220, Fax: +91-712-2704275,e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
1745, Pheasant Run Drive, Maryland Heights (Missouri), MO 63043, USA Ph: 001-636-6279734
Vertebroplasty Made Easy®
© 2008, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author and the publisher.
First Edition: 2008
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Ajanta
Satguru Dada Maharaj, Swami Vivekanand, who always inspired me to do something for the mankind,
Usha mauli who has been lifelong guiding light,
All my family members who always supported me in my endeavor, and
All my students and well wishers who made me complete this small workForeword
Vertebroplasty has been an exciting new technique to have gained popu-larity in the last decade. Its utility having been unquestionably estab-lished, technical innovations and variations have raised the bar for the precision and safety profile of this procedure.
As more and more indications get added to the conventional ones, con-ditions ranging from painful osteo-porotic fractures to vertebral metastasis are now being regularly managed by vertebroplasty.
The concerns of complications in an otherwise exacting procedure are more technique related, and the need is to overcome it by streamlining the procedure.
TheVertebroplasty Made Easy seems like the ideal refreshment for all spine surgeons to keep abreast with the ever expanding horizons of vertebroplasty.
Succinct and specific, it offers technical details, tips and tricks and an extensive literature review that sums up this useful manual.
It is a sincere effort by the author, Dr Arvind Bhave, at providing concise but detailed illustrative overview about the finer aspects of the procedure of vertebroplasty.
Wishing the book success in its endeavour.
Dr Shekhar Bhojraj
Consultant Spine Surgeon
I am very happy to bring out the book Vertebroplasty Made Easy.
The book is intended for all those, who want to know more and develop the skills for vertebroplasty. This book will give insight into minimally invasive procedure of vertebroplasty.
The use of vertebroplasty in difficult situations has been shown in the chapter in few illustrative cases. It is also necessary to know about dangerous and fatal complications of this procedure and how to avoid them.
I take this opportunity to thank Shri JP Vij, Chairman and Managing Director and all the staff members of Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers to publish the book on this novel procedure for enterprising doctors. I thank all my resident doctors, Dr Jainel Gandhi and colleagues who helped me to complete this book in short time.
I am very thankful to Dr Shekhar Bhojraj, Spine Surgeon, Mumbai, for encouraging me, to pursue spine surgery, to do something innovative and useful for the needy patients.