“om Selvavinayakaya Namah”
Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
4838/24 Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi - 110002, India
B-3, EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672, Rel: +91-11-32558559, Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Visit our website: www.jaypeebrothers.com
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road SatelliteAhmedabad 380 015 Phones: +91-79-26926233, Rel: +91-79-32988717Fax: +91-79-26927094 e-mail: email@example.com
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa Road, Kumara Park East,Bengaluru 560 001 Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956, +91-80-22372664Rel: +91-80-32714073, Fax: +91-80-22281761 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain Plaza, Pantheon Road,Chennai 600 008 Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897, Rel: +91-44-32972089,Fax: +91-44-28193231 e-mail: email@example.com
- 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095, Phones: +91-40-66610020, +91-40-24758498, Rel:+91-40-32940929,Fax:+91-40-24758499, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent RoadKochi 682 018, Kerala, Phones: +91-484-4036109, +91-484-2395739, +91-484-2395740e-mail: email@example.com
- 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington SquareKolkata 700 013, Phones: +91-33-22651926, +91-33-22276404, +91-33-22276415,Rel: +91-33-32901926 Fax: +91-33-22656075, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lekhraj Market III, B-2, Sector-4, Faizabad Road, Indira NagarLucknow 226 016 Phones: +91-522-3040553, +91-522-3040554e-mail: email@example.com
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao Road Near MGM Hospital, Parel,Mumbai 400 012 Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532,Rel: +91-22-32926896 Fax: +91-22-24160828, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, Reshimbag Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009 (MS) Phone: Rel: +91-712-3245220, Fax: +91-712-2704275e-mail: email@example.com
1745, Pheasant Run Drive, Maryland Heights (Missouri), MO 63043, USA
Essentials of Nursing
© 2008, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author and the publisher.
First Edition: 2008
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Gopsons Papers Ltd, Sector 60, Noida
Nursing students for especially GNM and Basic BSc (Nursing) CourseForeword
It is indeed a great pleasure to write the foreword for the Essentials of Nursing by Ms Maheshwari L, Asst. Lecturer, KR Group of Institution. This book gives fundamental concepts about basic nursing in both theoretical aspects and procedural aspects of nursing. It serves as ready reference for basic students and beginning practitioners of nursing.
Contents of the book are relevant and brief. It is written in simple language for easy comprehension. She has been diligent student in her college days and an admired teacher. I congratulate her for this effort.
KR College of NursingPreface
The book Essentials of Nursing is designed to meet the basic requirements of general nursing course and Basic BSc(N) program. Even though the book recommends other textbooks, being conscious about the difficulties of an average student to go through the pages by pages of valuable books during examination time. I am glad to present this book as a note for the subject.
This book covers maximum topics in minimum numbers of pages. Its contents are compiled mainly from “Mosby” textbook. I have made presentation simple, short and without sacrifying basic principles.
It is my aim that this textbook will help the students a lot. Hope, the students will enjoy the text utmost.
This textbook would have not been possible without the efforts of many people in preparing the chapters. I am extremely grateful to Professor Mr Nagarajan, KR College of Nursing and Principal Mr Shivakanth, KR School of Nursing for their immense contribution for the success of this title. I am grateful to Mr Jojy Kurian, the student and Ms Vasantha, the librarian for their typing work from Sushrutha School of Nursing, Bengaluru.
I am grateful to readers for their constructive comments, which may influence the content in future edition.
Thanks are also due to our families, Loganathan KS, Nagarathina T, Rani, Shashikala and Saravana, for their patience and acceptance of lost evenings and weekends.
I am grateful to Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers and many thanks to Mr Vasudeva H, the author co-ordinator, Bengaluru Branch.