Deputy Medical Superintendent Indian Spinal Injuries Centre New Delhi, India Formerly at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi Fortis Healthcare Limited, New Delhi
Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.
4838/24 Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi - 110002, India, Phone: +91-11-43574357
B-3 EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi - 110002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021
+91-11-23245672, Rel: +91-11-32558559, Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road SatelliteAhmedabad 380 015, Phones: +91-79-26926233, Rel: +91-79-32988717Fax: +91-79-26927094, e-mail: email@example.com
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa Road, Kumara Park EastBengaluru 560 001, Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-2238295691-80-22372664, Rel: +91-80-32714073,Fax: +91-80-22281761, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain Plaza, Pantheon RoadChennai 600 008, Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897, Rel: +91-44-32972089,Fax: +91-44-28193231, e-mail: email@example.com
- 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross Road,Hyderabad 500 095, Phones: +91-40-66610020, +91-40-24758498, Rel:+91-40-32940929Fax:+91-40-24758499, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent RoadKochi 682 018, Kerala, Phones: +91-484-4036109, +91-484-2395739, +91-484-2395740e-mail: email@example.com
- 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington SquareKolkata 700 013, Phones: +91-33-22651926, +91-33-22276404+91-33-22276415, Rel: +91-33-32901926, Fax: +91-33-22656075e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lekhraj Market III, B-2, Sector-4, Faizabad Road, Indira NagarLucknow 226 016, Phones: +91-522-3040553, +91-522-3040554e-mail: email@example.com
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao Road, Near MGM Hospital, ParelMumbai 400 012, Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532, Rel: +91-22-32926896,Fax: +91-22-24160828, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, Reshimbag, Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009 (MS), Phone: Rel: +91-712-3245220Fax: +91-712-2704275, e-mail: email@example.com
1745, Pheasant Run Drive, Maryland Heights (Missouri), MO 63043, USA,
Opportunities in Hospital and Health Care Administration
© 2008, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author and the publisher.
First Edition : 2008
Typeset at : JPBMP typesetting unit
My grandfather Shri Ramgopal Bhardwaj for being my north star and my father and mother source of inspirationMessage
I am glad to know that Dr Pradeep Bhardwaj, Dy Medical Superintendent, Indian Spinal Injuries Centre has written the book “Opportunities in Hospital and Health Care Administration”.
I am sure that the book would be able to disseminate importance of administration in ensuring proper health care to the patients at large. With the changing scenario, a number of new opportunities are emerging in the hospitals. So, it is essential to concentrate on health care administration, which would pave the way of total satisfaction of the patients.
Please accept my best wishes.
I am happy to know that the book “Opportunities in Hospital and Health Care Administration” written by Dr Pradeep Bhardwaj under Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, New Delhi is being published. The book will be a great help to the future hospital administrators.
Hospital administrators are in great demand in the changing scenario of hospital and health care sector. I am sure that the book would provide sufficient information about Hospital Administration.
I wish all success to the book and its forthcoming editions.
Dr Yoganand ShastriMessage
20th May, 2008
Dear Dr Pradeep Bhardwaj,
I am glad to know that you are in the process of publishing a book on “Opportunities in Health Care Administration”.
As the health care sector continues to grow and expand at a rapid pace, the demand for skilled health care managers increases as well. Leading health care organizations, however, take more care than their ability to treat patients. Professionals in this field need to balance between financial, competitive, and human resource needs in order to optimize the health care delivery system.
I appreciate your efforts of authoring a book on this subject, and hope that the readers will find it stimulating for exploring vistas in health care management.
Maj. H.P.S. AhluwaliaPreface
The starting point of all achievements is desire. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desires bring weak results, just as a small amount of Fire makes a small amount of Heat
Health care is one of the largest industries in the country. The book is an endeavour to tell the students of Hospital and Health Care Administration that the new opportunities lie ahead of them can help plan their health care career better. Health Care Administration is a sunrise sector in India. It is one of the most competitive and challenging career you can embark on and one of the most rewarding field.
The Indian hospital and health care industry has the potential to become a global hub for health care services. The health care industry is expected to grow rapidly over the next decade to reach at the turn over of Rs. 4-9 trillion by 2012. The industry is growing at an annual rate of 13%. According to a WHO report, India needs to add 80,000 hospital beds each year for the next five years to meet the demands of its growing population.
Hospital administrators are in great demand, therefore this is the right and exciting time to ensure an international future in the world's largest and fastest growing industry.
No one walks alone when one is walking on the journey of life just where you start to thanks those that joined you, walked beside you, and helped you along the way.
The book “Opportunities in Hospital and Health Care Administration” in your hand has become a reality as a result of contributions from many people. Foremost are my wife, Menaka Bhardwaj and daughter Manshu, who were instrumental in inspiring me to write on the subject which they felt is of great importance in today's changing scenario of Hospital and Health Care Administration.
My all efforts fail to pen the words that could precisely articulate my deep sense of gratitude towards my parents and brother ‘Darshan Deep’ for their prolific guidance, spirited inspiration and tremendous concern that worked as a beacon of light to me.
I feel privileged to express my gratitude to Dr HS Chhabra, Medical Director, Indian Spinal Injuries Centre and Dr Nalini Kaul, Medical Director, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Delhi.
My special thanks to my friends whose diligent effort made this project possible.
I will be grateful to the readers in receiving feedback that will help in making future editions more useful.