Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
4838/24 Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi - 110002, India
B-3, EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672
Rel: +91-11-32558559, Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683
- 2/B, Akruti Society, Jodhpur Gam Road SatelliteAhmedabad 380 015, Phones: +91-79-26926233, Rel: +91-79-32988717,Fax: +91-79-26927094, e-mail: email@example.com
- 202 Batavia Chambers, 8 Kumara Krupa Road, Kumara Park EastBengaluru 560 001, Phones: +91-80-22285971, +91-80-22382956, +91-80-22372664,Rel: +91-80-32714073, Fax: +91-80-22281761, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 282 IIIrd Floor, Khaleel Shirazi Estate, Fountain Plaza, Pantheon RoadChennai 600 008, Phones: +91-44-28193265, +91-44-28194897, Rel: +91-44-32972089,Fax: +91-44-28193231, e-mail: email@example.com
- 4-2-1067/1-3, 1st Floor, Balaji Building, Ramkote Cross RoadHyderabad 500 095, Phones: +91-40-66610020, +91-40-24758498, Rel:+91-40-32940929,Fax:+91-40-24758499, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- No. 41/3098, B & B1, Kuruvi Building, St. Vincent RoadKochi 682 018, Kerala, Phones: +91-484-4036109, +91-484-2395739, +91-484-2395740,e-mail: email@example.com
- 1-A Indian Mirror Street, Wellington SquareKolkata 700 013, Phones: +91-33-22651926, +91-33-22276404, +91-33-22276415,Rel: +91-33-32901926, Fax: +91-33-22656075, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lekhraj Market III, B-2, Sector-4, Faizabad Road, Indira NagarLucknow 226 016, Phones: +91-522-3040553, +91-522-3040554, e-mail: email@example.com
- 106 Amit Industrial Estate, 61 Dr SS Rao Road, Near MGM Hospital, ParelMumbai 400012, Phones: +91-22-24124863, +91-22-24104532, Rel: +91-22-32926896,Fax: +91-22-24160828, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “KAMALPUSHPA” 38, Reshimbag, Opp. Mohota Science College, Umred RoadNagpur 440 009 (MS), Phone: Rel: +91-712-3245220, Fax: +91-712-2704275, e-mail: email@example.com
1745, Pheasant Run Drive, Maryland Heights (Missouri), MO 63043, USA
Medical Physiology Made Easy®
© 2008, Harish Gupta, Dinesh Patidar
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the authors and the publisher.
First Edition: 2008
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
Printed at Ajanta
loving memory of
my late parents,
who left me alone
in my childhoodPREFACE
There are many books on the subject of physiology, written by many authors, in accordance to the standard and caliber of students, specially whose medium of instruction had been Hindi. A need was felt that a book should be written based on simple and easily understandable language. This book is mainly based on lectures in physiology given by the first author of the book.
The students of first profession of MBBS and Dental courses had been requesting the first author to write an easy book on physiology. This book will fulfill their long cherished desire. The future students will be highly benefitted by this book in understanding the fundamentals and basic principles of physiology, which is the basis of Medicine.
The flow charts and diagrammatic representations will be easily understood and remembered by the students.
This book will be much useful for the students of Medical, Dental, Physiotherapy, and Paramedical courses.
I shall be very happy to receive the comments and suggestions from the colleagues and students.
We express our deep gratitude to the various authors of “Books on Physiology”, Indian as well as foreign, specially Ganong and Guyton's Textbook of Physiology, Indian colleagues, Sembulingam, AK Jain, Chatterji and Choudhary for utilizing some of the figures from their books.
We also express our thanks to Chairman Mr Ajit Jhaver, Dean; Dr YN Saxena, Director and Ex-Dean, Dr HC Neema of College of Dental Science and Hospital, Rau (Indore). We are thankful to our dear colleagues and students.
We are much thankful to Dr Chandresh Shukla, who inspired us to write a book on physiology.
We are also thankful to Mr Sunil Dhanger, Mr Ashok Sendhav and Miss Meenakshi Sharma for typing the script, and Mr Barve, artist of College of Dental Science and Hospital, Rau.
We are much thankful to Shri JP Vij, Chairman and Managing Director and Mr Tarun Duneja, Director (Publishing) of M/s Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd. for publishing the book. We are also thankful to their team for formatting and designing the book.
We are grateful to Mr Arun Gujar (Assistant Sales Manager) and Mr Prasun Bhattacharya for pursuing us to write this book and guiding us from time to time.