Jitendar P Vij
Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd
4838/24, Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi 110 002, India
Phone: +91-11-43574357, Fax: +91-11-43574314
B-3, EMCA House, 23/23B Ansari Road, Daryaganj, New Delhi 110 002, India
Phones: +91-11-23272143, +91-11-23272703, +91-11-23282021, +91-11-23245672
Rel: +91-11-32558559, Fax: +91-11-23276490, +91-11-23245683
Offices in India
- Ahmedabad, Phone: Rel: +91-79-32988717, e-mail: email@example.com
- Bengaluru, Phone: Rel: +91-80-32714073, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chennai, Phone: Rel: +91-44-32972089, e-mail: email@example.com
- Hyderabad, Phone: Rel:+91-40-32940929, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kochi, Phone: +91-484-2395740, e-mail: email@example.com
- Kolkata, Phone: +91-33-22276415, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lucknow, Phone: +91-522-3040554, e-mail: email@example.com
- Mumbai, Phone: Rel: +91-22-32926896, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nagpur, Phone: Rel: +91-712-3245220, e-mail: email@example.com
- North America Office, USA, Ph: 001-636-6279734
- Central America Office, Panama City, Panama, Ph: 001-507-317-0160
- Europe Office, UK, Ph: +44 (0) 2031708910e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Manual of Practical Medical Biochemistry
© 2011, Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers
All rights reserved. No part of this publication should be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means: electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the author and the publisher.
First Edition: 2011
Typeset at JPBMP typesetting unit
To The memory of my beloved parents Mr TV Balraj and Mrs Flora Balraj and my loving brother Mr BTC JeyakumarPreface
The laboratory manual in Biochemistry is based on the practical work schedule allotted to first year MBBS students as per the guidelines issued by the Medical Council of India.
This book Manual of Practical Medical Biochemistry has been compiled in simple language with a clear focus in equipping the medical students the clinical aspects of Practical Biochemistry.
I would like to acknowledge with gratitude the help rendered by all the Staff of the Department of Biochemistry, Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College, Salem, Tamil Nadu, India in bringing out the manual, especially my erstwhile colleagues in the department, Dr R Nagendran MD and Dr Priya Jeyapal MD—Professors of Biochemistry for their constructive suggestions and Mrs CR Jamuna BSc for her help in preparing and typing the manuscript. I thank my husband Dr P Jones Ronald MD, DM, Nephrologist for his continuous encouragement and contribution by way of drawing the diagrams in this manual. I thank M/s Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd, New Delhi, for bringing up this book tidily and on time.
I hope and wish that this manual will be useful for the students of Medical, Dental and allied medical sciences in understanding the beauty that underlies the basis of Biochemistry.
Assistance rendered by Dr R Nagendran MD, Prof of Biochemistry, Dr Priya Jeyapal MD, Prof of Biochemistry, Dr K Anandhi MBBS DO, Tutor in Biochemistry and Mrs CR Jamuna BSc, Non-Medical Demonstrator, my erstwhile colleagues in the Department of Biochemistry, Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College, Salem, Tamil Nadu, India is gratefully acknowledged.
BIOCHEMISTRY PRACTICALS GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS TO THE STUDENTS
- All the students should be punctual in attending practical classes. All should wear neat white coat. Dresses made by inflammable materials should be avoided.
- All should attend the instruction or demonstration classes before each practical class.
- Students can leave the laboratory only after finishing their practicals and getting signature in the observation book.
- All should maintain a Biochemistry record notebook prescribed by the college and submit them within the stipulated time. Separate marks are allotted for records as per the instruction of the University.
- All the glasswares should be cleaned thoroughly and all waste materials should be dropped into the waste basket.
- After using, all the reagent bottles should be closed with stoppers and kept in the appropriate places in the racks.
- While taking the bottles from the rack, students should hold the bottles with both hands. Should not carry the bottles by the neck.
- Pipetting by mouth should be done carefully. Students can use teats whenever necessary. Should not pipette concentrated acids, alkali or toxic chemicals by mouth.
- All burners should be put off after the practical work is over.
- In the event of any accident such as spilling of acid or alkali over the body or eye, accidental entry of acid/alkali into the mouth during popetting, electric shock, gas leakage, burns etc. It should be informed immediately to the staff for favor of first aid and emergency treatments.